In 2009, EQT V created Blizoo by combining the number one and number two digital cable TV market players in Bulgaria and Macedonia. Based on low penetration rates of digital TV services and broadband in its home markets, Blizoo offered growth potential from driving digitalization of TV offers and triple play services in addition to consolidating a highly fragmented market.
During its ownership, EQT leveraged its extensive knowledge and expertise in the cable industry from previous investments in Com Hem, StjärnTVnätet and Kabel BW to accelerate the conversion from analogue to digital TV services and drive cross-sell of triple play services. In a challenging macro economic environment and competitive cable market, the company invested significantly into upgrading its network infrastructure and creating attractive products offers, including attractive content and high definition services, to monetize its customer base, while introducing new low tier offers to capture new segments. Based on these investments, Blizoo established itself as the leading cable operator in the Bulgarian market.
In 2015, EQT V sold Blizoo to Telekom Austria.
Key Events During EQT's Ownership
- Significant upgrade and expansion of the Blizoo network infrastructure
- Introduction of state-of-the-art digital TV products (e.g. HD television, catch up tv, PVR, video on demand, etc.)
- Best-in-class broadband services with high customer satisfaction
- Strengthening of the management team
- Launch of mobile products via MaxTelekom partnership
- Divestment to Telekom Austria in 2015